Saturday, February 04, 2006

 
A nice side effect of the current crochet psychosis is that I usually have stuff lying around the house when I desperately need a last-minute gift. Turns out that Donna turned 40 on Thursday, so she got the pineapple scarf. If I had played it right I could have made it look like I'd made it with her in mind, but at least I was able to pull a hand-made gift out of my hat.

Here's a baby blanket that I gave to my husband's boss and his wife last night for their four-month old son. (Had a devout Shabbat dinner at their house with our kids, both of whom behaved very well considering that it involved strangers and rituals to which they're not accustomed.) It's Simply Soft in Soft Blue; I don't normally go for the "blue blankets for boys" thing but I was destashing and had two full skeins of it that I had been planning to use to make a tank and skirt, or a dress, for Amanda until I got the cotton Skacel Ocean which I like much more in terms of texture, drape, and general effectiveness as a summer item. Anyway, I usually use Bernat Baby Coordinates in a pale cream color for baby blankets but ya use what ya have. Started Monday morning, finished Thursday night. In retrospect, the scallops aren't very boyish so maybe that makes up for the color. Actually, I really don't care that much, and it's gone, so no more overthinking it.

Getting read to work on...a hat for Amanda out of the Jo-Ann wool/cotton yarn that I frogged out of the scarf; fingerless gloves for me in a yarn I haven't chosen yet (I have a lot of dark gray Simply Soft but I think I want a natural fiber, at least in a blend; I have nearly a full skein of kitchen cotton that would be nice but it's periwinkle blue which is not exactly my taste). Also need to replace my pineapple scarf since it REALLY looked good on Donna -- better than I thought it would.

Comments:
What a beautiful blanket! Is the pattern one you designed, or one I can purchase?

You do lovely work!
 
stunning blanket!!!

and I love the pic of your daughter "bonding" with the new kitten.
 
oh and, I would love to know about the blanket pattern, too :-)
 
Celeste and Sara...thanks for the nice words! The pattern is from a Leisure Arts pattern booklet called "Heirloom Afghans for Baby." Every single pattern in it is just plain beautiful; CrochetDude posted his progress on one called "Exquisite" a few months ago, which is my usual go-to baby blanket with lots of 19th century fans and pineapples. And, best of all IMHO, all the patterns are worked as a single piece -- no squares and no strips.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?